THE TASK AT HAND
Cere’s customer, Vancer Railway Systems, needed a Hi-Rail excavator that had increased ground clearance, could operate high powered attachments, and was able to transport heavy rail car loads. The Ceres team of engineers rose to the challenge and designed and built a product based upon the Caterpillar 541 Feller Buncher.
Significant design components of the project included:
- Custom excavator style boom/stick
- High torque four motor rail drive system
- Rugged undercarriage/rail trolley weldments
- 10″ touch screen control system integrated with six PLC’s
- Dual train couplers & air brake system
Since a solution was previously unavailable in the marketplace, the power and weight of this Hi-Rail Excavator has allowed Vancer to continually protect rail from falling boulders, damaged walls and its reach allows for tree branches and other damaging brush to be managed efficiently and effectively.